Tajweed Rules is the key to reciting the holy Quran perfectly and melodically without any mistakes like we are supposed to.
Reciting Quran with Tajweed is a Sunnah, and the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said:
“Verily the one who recites the Quran beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have twice that reward.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari)
However, the process of learning Tajweed rules may be hard for many people, or a bit complex, because they don’t know where to begin and how, therefore, we will show you some easy steps to follow, let’s get started.
What is Tajweed?
Tajweed rules are the rules that show you how to pronounce a word or letter when to stop when to hide letters, and so on. The word tajweed itself means “to perfect” “improve”, or “beautify”. Hence the science of tajweed is the science that helps us improve and beautify our Quranic reading.
Why the need for tajweed appeared?
At first, Islam spread between Arabs and classical Arabic was their language therefore they knew how to recite the Quran without the need for tajweed. Quran was spread orally at the time of the prophet. however, later on, Islam reached countries and places of non-Arabic speakers. And reciting Quran without any rules to follow was very hard and a lot of mistakes were made. Let’s see the following Hadith:
A man was reciting the Quran to Abdullah ibn Masood and he recited, “InnamasSadaqâtu lil-Fuqara-i wal-Masâkeen, Ibn Mas’ud said, “This is not how the messenger of Allah (peace and blessing be upon him) recited it to me!”, so the man inquired, “how did he recite it to you?” so he said, “lil-Fuqarââ-i wal-Masâkeen”.
As you can see from the above hadith reading the holy Quran as the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) used to recite it wasn’t easy without the tajweed rules. And many mistakes were made. Hence the tajweed rules came from the holy Quran itself and how the prophet used to recite it.
After the death of the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) came the need to collect the Quranic surahs in one Mushaf. Because not All people are able to memorize the Holy Quran, and it was hard for non-Arabic speakers to recite it. Therefore, the science of tajweed was made to help people read and understand the verses of the holy Quran.
Simple and easy steps to learn Tajweed rules online.
Learning the tajweed rules of the Quran might seem hard but it’s not, all you have to do is to stay motivated, remind yourself that you are doing this for Allah, make your intention, and start learning. Here are a few tips that will help you memorize each rule in a second.
- First of all, you better consider enrolling yourself in an online course, where a professional tutor will teach the different tajweed rules and how to use them one at a time. Some of the best websites that offer Quran tajweed courses are Studio Arabiya, Noor Academy, Quran Online, and Quran classes. Search for the best course that suits your level and needs.
- Buy some Tajweed books to read. Books will help you learn better and practice what you’ve learned easily. There will be many examples and exercises. The key to enhancing your tajweed is practicing, therefore, this step is very important.
- If you’re learning on your own then don’t leave a rule without understanding it. If you face any difficulties then search for the tajweed rule on the internet and watch some YouTube videos. You will find many videos explaining the rule in an easy way to understand. Watch them and then practice them on your own. If you’re taking a course then ask your teacher to explain it more to you.
- Listen to your favorite reciter and repeat after him, this will help you to memorize and understand the rule faster. Don’t stop practicing, and if you make any mistakes that’s even better because mistakes help you learn better.
- Don’t let anyone get into your head or any negative thoughts stop you from learning. You will master the tajweed it just takes time. In the beginning, your learning progress will be slow and that’s normal, once you get used to it you will learn faster.
- It’s also a good idea to teach the rules that you learn to a friend or a family member, this will make you memorize the rule fast. And Remember you are learning tajweed for Allah, keep reminding yourself of that, and Ask Allah to help you along the way.
Why are Tajweed Rules important in the recitation of the Quran?
Reciting the holy Quran with Tajweed is a Sunnah, the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said:
“Verily the one who recites the Quran beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari)
Tajweed rules are there to help us recite the Quran correctly without any mistakes, leading to understanding its verses and the overall message of the verses. This in turn brings us closer to Allah, softens our hearts, guide us to the right path, and learn to recite the holy Quran like our beloved prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to do.
Allah said in the Holy Quran:
“…And recite the Quran with measured recitation.” [Quran 73:4]
What are some basic Tajweed rules that every Muslim should know?
Here are some of the basic rules that you should know with a brief and simple explanation:
tajweed qalqalah refers to making a vibration sound at the end of the pronunciation of the following letters: Qaaf (ق), Ttaa(ت), Baa(ب), Jiim(ج) or Daal(د). And you apply this rule when you find sukoon or shaddah on the letter and the rule includes minor, medium, and major.
Here’s an example of the tajweed rule Qalqalah in surah Falaq:
قُلْ أَعُوذُ بِرَبِّ ٱلْفَلَقِ ١
Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “I seek refuge in the Lord of the daybreak
مِن شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ ٢
from the evil of whatever He has created,
وَمِن شَرِّ غَاسِقٍ إِذَا وَقَبَ ٣
and from the evil of the night when it grows dark,
وَمِن شَرِّ ٱلنَّفَّـٰثَـٰتِ فِى ٱلْعُقَدِ ٤
and from the evil of those ˹witches casting spells by˺ blowing onto knots,
وَمِن شَرِّ حَاسِدٍ إِذَا حَسَدَ ٥
and from the evil of an envier when they envy.”
2. Al Madd.
This rule refers to pronouncing the letter by giving it from 2 to 6 beats based on its type.
قَالَ الَّذِي عِندَهُ عِلْمٌ مِّنَ الْكِتَابِ
صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ
إِلَّا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ فَلَهُمْ أَجْرٌ غَيْرُ مَمْنُونٍ
رَّضِيَ اللَّـهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ لِمَنْ خَشِيَ رَبَّهُ
فَأَثَرْنَ بِهِ نَقْعًا
3. Noon Sakinah and Tanween:
Among the tajweed rules is the rule of Noon Sakinah and Tanween. When you find the mark of sukoon on the letter noon (ن) or when you find the tanween then this rule is applied. Notice that tanween refers to pronouncing noon Sakinah at the end of the word without writing it, it is written as (اً). The rule includes Izhaar, Idghaam, Iqlaab, and ikhfa rule.
صِرَاطًامُسْتَقِيمًا، صحُفـاً مُّطَهَّرة، وُجُوهٌيَوْمَئِذٍ.
أَنْلَوْ، مِنْرَّبِّه / وَيْلٌلِّلْمُطَفِّفين
فأنذرتُكم، ماءًثجّاجًا، قومًاطاغين، ولمنصبر
Can non-Arabic speakers learn Tajweed and apply it in their recitation of the Quran?
Tajweed rules are applied to Arabic Quran; therefore, you should learn the Arabic language or learn how to recite Arabic Quran and then learn the tajweed and its different rules.
Are there different Tajweed styles or schools of thought?
There is only one tajweed type but there are different reading styles called Qirat meaning ‘reading’. The 7 Qirat are:
- Qira’t Naafi’ Al-Madani (Madinah).
- Qiraat Ibn Katheer Al-Makki (Makkah).
- Qiraat Abu Amr al-Basri (Basra).
- Qira’t Ibn Aamir ash-Shami (Syria).
- Qira’t Asim Al-Kufi (Kufa).
- Qira’t Hamzah al-Kufi (Kufa).
- Qirat Khalaf al-Bazzar).
How long does it take to learn Tajweed and become proficient in Quran recitation?
The time it takes to learn tajweed changes from one person to another depending on the age of the person, and the free time the person has. Here are some tips to help you learn faster:
- Divide the time to learn intonation to a specific period
- and listen to the recitation of a famous reader.
- Repeat after the reciter to enhance your pronunciation and to learn the rule correctly.
What are some common mistakes that people make when reciting the Quran?
While reciting Quran with tajweed you could fall into one of the two mistakes which are called hidden and clear mistakes.
Clear mistakes (Lahn Jaliyy لحن جلى ): This means a major mistake, unlike the hidden mistake which is a minor mistake. This means changing the pronunciation of a letter or the meaning of a sentence.
Hidden mistakes (Lahn Khafiyy لحن خفى ): These mistakes are minor mistakes like not stopping when you should have or not completing the long method.
Types of mistakes when reciting the holy Quran:
· Types of mistakes concerning the Thick and thin Pronunciations (tarqiq/Tafkhim):
This type of mistake means to not thinning or thickening the istifal character, thickening the pronunciation of a thin ro’, thinning the pronunciation of a thick ro’ and thinning a thick Lam jalalah.
· Types of mistakes in long and Short Recitals:
This means to extend the letter more than you should reduce the letter more than it should be.
· Mistakes related to Characters and Sentences when Reciting Quran:
This kind of mitake is related to fathah, kasrah, dhommah, sukun and sabdu. Changing one of these will change the pronunciation of the letter, changing it from its right pronunciation.
· Types of mistakes committed when Stopping or Beginning a Recital (Waqf/ Ibtida’):
This type of mistake is related to stopping or repeating a recital when you are inhaling, starting a recital with a word that disrupts the language structure, stopping at a word that disrupts the structure of the grammar, stopping at a word that disrupts the particular meaning, stopping at the liner from the last character and beginning a recital from the word that disrupts the particular meaning.
How can correct mistakes when using Tajweed rules?
The best way to correct your mistakes when using Tajweed rules is to listen to your favorite reciter and compare your recitation. Also if there is any rule you don’t understand you could search for it online and you will find many videos explaining it.
Are there any resources available online to learn Tajweed and improve their Quran recitation?
One of the best ways to learn tajweed of the Quran online is by taking an online course. A professional tutor will guide you through your learning journey, he will explain each rule and train you to use it correctly. If you don’t understand any rule or anything he will explain it in a simpler way.
Besides learning with a tutor, it would be a good idea to try watching online videos and learn from them too and ask the tutor about what you didn’t understand. This will help you master the Tajweed rules faster.
If you found the article helpful feel free to share it. If you still have any questions comment below and we will be more than glad to help you.